ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Monday, April 12, 2010

Good Intentions

I would like to share with you an experience I had out in the foyer a few Sundays ago. I came late to Sunday School, in fact, late enough that I could not come into the chapel. And as I watched the sacrament being passed to the privileged ones inside, I felt left out, rejected. I thought of my excuses for not making it on time. I had to find a missing book for one of the classes, the car windows had heavy frost on that I hadn't anticipated, the clock was five minutes slow. I had intentions of arriving on time but in spite of all my reasons I was still on the other side of the big plate glass window. I watched almost with envy those partakers of this choice blessing.

How many times do we cut ourselves out of blessings, because we don't put forth enough effort? Oh, we have good intentions, but intentions take us nowhere unless carried out.

I'm sure all of us have good intentions to do many of the good things. We are always saying, "I want to be a devoted parent, spend more time with my children, a good neighbor, visit the sick, I want to set a good example. I'd like to be a good teacher, a dedicated teacher, prepare excellent lessons. I shall try more earnestly to keep the Sabbath Day Holy, as it should be. I am going to start to attend church more regularly." But we project our life out in front - to the future. Today we're rushed, and too involved. We say one of these days ... but one of these days usually means none of these days.

We should take stock and ask ourselves why are we so rushed? We are so rushed doing what? Perhaps we may find we are postponing and putting aside those things that really matter most.

A tourist rushed up to a guard in Paris a breathlessly asked, "I have a very short time here, what is there worthwhile to see?" To which the guard said quietly, "Nothing for you, Sir. Beauty requires time for cultivation and appreciation. It demands eyes to see and ears to hear. Beauty is all about us but it takes time to see it." Responding to beauty is one of the greatest blessings our gospel affords.

This reminds me of a dream I had. I was in a hurry, a big hurry. I had to get my quilt top, batting, thread and thimbles up to the church. The Relief Society ladies were waiting on me to put it on frames. I rushed around the house. My family was underfoot -- they were talking -- maybe to me, I don't know. But I wasn't listening. I slipped the batting under one arm, slung the patched quilt top over the other, filled my hand with the thread, chalk, and thimble and set out. I was walking from my home into town. I strode breathlessly along the highway, my hair was stringy, my shoes loose and sloppy. But I couldn't make headway, the road was crowded with feet in my way - feet everywhere. I noticed a big pair of shoes blocking my way, belonging to my husband. My children's feet were all in a row near his. And I said, "Move your feet I've got to get through," never once looking up. And I heard his voice say, "Look." I looked up. The highway was filled with the multitude. In quiet silence all eyes were turned heavenward. And there -- in all His glory was our Savior descending. I had missed it -- all the gloriousness and beauty of this marvelous event would never be mine. With deep remorse all I could say was, "I didn't know He was coming so soon."

Too busy for the things that really matter.

What is the best thing we can do with our time?

Taking time to be with our families. Sharing family togetherness, a great blessing. As President Joseph Fielding Smith said, "An opportunity to establish heaven in our home."

Taking time to be of service to others. Giving it freely and willingly, visiting the sick and needy. Sister Jackson, our president, knows this. She knows how meaningful and fulfilling life can be in doing for others. True happiness is found not in having -- but in giving.

Taking time to honor the calling we have in the church. To serve diligently and devotedly. How privileged is the girls who has such a teacher that realizes that her calling really matters. My daughter has such a teacher. I'm so grateful to LuJean for this. I know it isn't easy to always be thoroughly prepared. But Lonnie won't remember in a few months how much he walked the floor or warmed the baby's bottle while LuJean studied on. But my daughter will remember the words of inspiration that touched her life, because it will become a part of her. And LuJean knows the inward joy of touching lives and kindling sparks of divine truths. And these are joys that really matter.

Watching a friend come back into activity in the church through some small part you played in bringing this about is real joy. Time well spent. Listening to a girl who has lost her way, helping in some small way to start her back, this is real joy. No joy can compare to feeling you have motivated another to reach a little higher.

Taking time to strive to live the gospel more fully.

You know, owning a piano doesn't make one a pianist. Being born a Latter-Day Saint doesn't necessarily make one a true Latter-Day Saint. It takes practice, daily practice. We learn and grow little by little, precept upon precept.

Someday all of us will have the same experience. We shall be in the foyer, waiting to come beyond the curtain. Intentions of what we planned to do in life won't count there either. Reasons or excuses won't count. We shall either have cut ourselves out of blessings -- or we shall be ready to enter and receive them.

Time is such a priceless thing
It is measured out to you and me
And what we place back in the hours
Counts for all eternity

February 25, 1973
Talk given in 1st Ward M.I.A.

No comments: