ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lovely Things

My world's so full of lovely things
Each rising dawn brings beauties new
If only I could keep a part of
Every day that passes through.

The rain must over fertile fields
The stately tree so tall
The crimson sky at sunset
As the twilight shadows fall.

If I could only stretch my arms
And capture all I see
I'd hold it close securely
And keep it there with me.

I linger with the summer
And feast upon each hour
Explore each heavy-laden branch
Til I know every flower.

I touch each fragile petal
Of the roses in full bloom
I find the springtime lilac
And drink deep of its perfume.

Oh doesn't your heart pity
That man that doesn't see
This beauty that surrounds him
Who walks on aimlessly.

Tho' robins send their thrilling notes
Across the fragrant air
His ears are deaf -- silent
He goes on unaware.

The golden morning sun will rise
And open my new day
Compelling me to reach beyond
With it's magnetic ray.

I dare to race the wildest winds
And o'er green meadows fly
Releasing all my secret dreams
I toss them to the sky.

My thoughts will build as rising
Waves that push through heaving foam
My hopes shall reach the highest peak
I'd conquer heights unknown.

Oh doesn't your heart pity
The man that cannot feel
This vibrancy of morning
His soul unmoved -- still!

And should this day escape me
And vanish from my sight
I'd love the quiet gray of dusk
As it softly turned to night.

And doesn't your heart pity
The man who doesn't know
The peacefulness of evening
As life's shadows fade and go.

My world's so full of lovely things
Each step I take brings beauties new
And if I could, which would I choose
To linger with til day is through.

If God would only take His hand
And gather all for me
Then hold it in safe keeping
For my eternity!

May 21, 1968

No comments: