ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm Glad That It Was Me

Dear Lord,

My thoughts keep building one by one since you called him up there
Oh let me pour them out to you -- for I would like to share --
These inner feelings hid inside that if it had to be --
That one of us should stay behind, I'm glad that it was me.

For though my days are dreary since he went away --
If I could choose I would not go and ask for him to stay.
For if he were her and I was there - how saddened I would be --
To look upon his loneliness and watch him long for me.

What hurt -- what pain I would endure to see his wistful gaze
On other couples lingering near, remembering our days.
I couldn't bear at close of day to see him coming home
And step inside these empty walls -- each endless night alone.

How heavy silence can become with no one near to break it
How far away the world can seem -- so easy to forsake it!
I'd see him settle in his chair, then place his thoughts on me
And sink away with graying day -- into his reverie

Reaching back into the past to feel our warmth and love
Crying helplessly within -- as I'd watch from up above.
Oh no, Dear Lord, I couldn't stand to look upon such sorrow,
To watch my love in suffering here -- until our new tomorrow.

And so my thoughts in circles go until I am aware --
That I must live the kind of life to make him happy there.
So tell him -- all is well with me -- that all our glorious years
Will linger on within my heart and far outweigh my tears.

That I shall walk by faith and hope and greet each day anew
And give to life the best I have because he wants me to
For if he would be happy I now so clearly see --
That I must too be happy here because he's watching me!


1978

No comments: