ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dear Teacher

Dear Teacher,

It all began one crisp September morning when I stood in my front yard, my hand waving helplessly in the air, a lump in my throat as that big, yellow gigantic school bus took away my little boy into a new world - his world with you. I watched that little small head vanish from my sight, then a mixture of feelings tied up inside me.

In that solemn moment I thought - here he is teacher. Today you and I shall begin a partnership. Together we shall build, change, and mold this child. You will now become a very important part of his life. I now share with you one of my most priceless possessions.

You shall receive along with him many, many others of all sizes, shapes, and colors, with attitudes and environments as varied as the glowing morning until its hourly hues sink into blackest night. But I place my trust and faith in you because you know that beyond the memorizing of the ABC's, or the straight line of the T, your greatest challenge is to build them from within. That they may want to be good, beautiful and caring.

This world about us is filled with wondrous happenings, a highly technical world. The engineer who designs his thoughts of iron and steel into the enormous Banger Bridge, the scientist, the chemist, those who discover the transplanting of the human heart. The artist, who touches deeper feelings with his soul, as he puts his brush on the canvas.

And yet, surpassing all of this, is the power you hold within your hands. You possess the most magnificent tools ever created as you build a child from within. As you teach, and give love, tolerance, fair play, and encouragement. You kindle the spark of desire, to become that scientist, the chemist, the artist, a lover of peace. And I know as each child passes through your door to move on, he takes with him a piece of your heart.

Dear teacher, your imprint is eternal.

Thank you.

About Jimmy




No comments: