ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Monday, April 12, 2010

The Harvest

The harvesting is over, the garden spot is bare.
My back and joints have stiffened me, a chill is in the air.
I've lugged those big round pumpkins, the squashes, all in store.
And as for the zucchini, I won't plant it anymore.

Those juicy red tomatoes that were so good at first
I've eaten morning, noon and night until I thought I'd burst.
I've hauled them to the neighbors, the stranger down the street
I've given carrots, corn, and cukes to everyone I'd meet.

And as I rub the bengay in and slump down by the fire
I think I'll calculate my time, how much I made per hour.
I've beat upon that clay packed ground and hauled in sands and soil.
My legs and feet and arms and hands know the suffering of toil.

I've dusted on the powders and watched with special care
The aphids, spiders, squash bugs, I found them everywhere.
And with the bounteous crops I've grown, I've also plenty of
Big brown freckles on my arms, big holes in my glove.

The fertilizer, seeds I've bought, the sprays that I have sprayed,
I'm adding all expenses to see how much I've made.
Four pair of gloves, for sweaty clothes, more soap I've had to buy
The many creams I've purchased for my skin so cracked and dry.

Now what kind of price should I put on mean words I've had to speak
As tiny starts were damaged by little grandson's feet.
And now my total plainly states, as far as gardens go --
Planting seeds are for the birds, and not for making dough.

So welcome quiet winter, I'll take my peaceful rest
For now it's all in black and white my ledger shows what's best.
But as I rock and ponder, I know it's not all true
That answer can't tell everything, I see another view.

I remember how my heart leaped as I saw widow Brown
Gratefully accept from me the baskets laden down.
And what about that family so needful at that time
The stranger that I learned to love, the greater blessings mine.

And who knows what tomorrow brings, just what the future holds
Money is not security, we must prepare, we're told.
Now I see what really matters, I'll toss away those figures
I'll plant another garden and next year I'll make it bigger!

No comments: