ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Friday, April 9, 2010

Endurance

I remember the first time I met him. It was a rainy, misty day. He was there at my front steps, drenched, sneaky eyed. I came upon him abruptly and there we met. From the very beginning I didn't like him.

I didn't know much about him, only that he lived down beyond the fields from my house and came too often to my premises. He came stealthily at first. Then he grew more and more into such a brazen character. He even came and hung around when I was not at home!

I got uneasy, listening for him through the night, losing sleep, fearing. I began fearing the worst. I was alone in my big farm house. I needed protection constantly. Should I tell my children who did not live near me? Would it be right to place such a burden upon them?

My thoughts wrapped laboriously around him. My whole world was disrupted. Why can't he go away, get out of my life?

And then one day it happened. It was a soggy, November day. Foolishly he tried to disguise himself. He hid. He crunched under my big concrete bridge, awaiting the right moment to appear. Unexpected waters came gushing ferociously, dashing him dangerously again and again against the cement corners. The strong current was too much for him and washed him forward into a lifeless hump. Tragedy had struck!

I stood there immersed with pity. Then reality returned and my nightmare ended. Boy! Was I glad to see that skunk gone!

No comments: