ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Friday, April 9, 2010

Christmas Eve

Son, tonight while you lay sleeping
The quietness of this room
Keeps whispering and telling me
That you'll be leaving soon.

The leather chair holds reverently
The books you'll come to know
And white shirts lay beside them
As they catch the firelight's glow.

It's now their turn to take their place
And leave behind the toy
As you move on to manhood
And leave behind the boy!

Dream on my son in peacefulness
While I dream my dreams too
Of all the hearts you'll light and warm
In this work you're called to do.

Oh holy night - when Mary gave -
Her son with love sublime
In my small and humble way
Tonight - I offer mine!

To John as he left

Orvetta's thoughts:
There was the Christmas when we were not only wrapping presents to put under the tree but we were loading a big suitcase that would travel to the MTC en route to Mexico. So this Christmas Eve was a lump-in-the-throat Christmas. I couldn't decide whether I was crying for joy or for sadness. As John and the others had all dropped off to sleep I softly walked to the living room and expressed my thoughts on a piece of paper.

No comments: