ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Thursday, April 8, 2010

From Whence It Came

I wonder as I think of them
Above that red brick store,
Hearts afire, a thirst to give ---
Unto the weak, the poor.

A little band of sisters,
Encircled there as one,
Listening to the Prophet's voice,
As this new plan begun.

I wonder could they really know --
The greatness of that day?
How it would spread through time and space --
How it would wind it's way
Into the hearts throughout the land
Across the seas, and plain
A plan designed to come to earth
Forever to remain.

I see again the flowing skirt
Trudging through the snow
To reach that little humble home
And give it warmth and glow.

I watch the calloused hand of then,
So worn from serving others
Turn into an angel's touch
Upon the weeping mother.

I feel the sorrow in her soul,
The grief upon her face.
And if she could, in this dark hour
She'd take this mother's place.

Today, I fall on bended knee
And fervently I PLEAD ---
Oh open up my heart, my eyes,
To see each sister's need.

Let my hands reach out and touch,
My feet walk through the snow,
May I follow in the footsteps
Of those sisters, long ago!

March 1986

No comments: