ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Friday, April 9, 2010

The Story Of The Stockings

Today I hung their stockings, all of them, the grandchildren's, the married grandchildren's, their spouses, and the eight little greats. What a wonderful day!

Each little stocking I placed in my hand flooded the feelings through me. Each little stocking talked with me as I hung. I'm smiling, Aubree will be asking me why her stocking and Melissa's is so tiny. Yes, two little alike stockings made for two little near three year olds those six years back. Now here is Aubree getting tall and long legged, seriously thoughtful, dribbling balls and on the go always. And here's Melissa, mild and mannerly, wise.

I hope I didn't too lavishly decorate some more than others. I stood back and gazed on the display, lifted some down to add more trim and equalize.

I've lined them all, oldest down. So always, Kelly, my first grandchild starts the picture. How blessed I've been to have him so near through his growing years. We share a million memories. I know the order they come in. I don't have to look up any birth dates for any of the forty.

How nice to sew and new stocking and scroll the name "Liz" for the new wife added to our family. How nice to pause and study each young couple and feel so warm and good inside for what I see. My heart leaps as I add tiny little new ones next to their sweet mothers. Look at Aislynn's with the dainty bow on it. Oh how my fingers scurried through the scrap drawer for that, and pink trimmed! I gave a little scream of delight when I saw it! With six little, healthy, robust great grandsons born just ahead of her the pink touch was a must! Now here's Jessica. She's the one that turned me into a great grandmother five years ago. Oh, I've just got to add a bright fluffy pom-pom to hers.

No comments: