ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Friday, April 9, 2010

Dear Parents

Dear Parents,

I would like to express to you some of my deeper feelings that never seem to get said and yet so much a part of me.

I have always been so grateful for the many wonderful qualities you possess and is there a better time that Christmas when love and beauty flows from all mens hearts to let you know what flows from mine.

To you Dad - how proud I am of a handsome father. From my very beginning this has been so much a prideful part of me. Here you are seventy-six and one of the neatest dressed men ever. I appreciate the effort you take in looking special always.

And you know, Dad, to me one of the greatest qualities you possess is your genuine interest in others - your deep concern about your fellowman, your nation, your kinfolk - family.

It matters not who you chance to meet you show a great interest in them. No wonder you have the talent for a great conversationalist.

And always have i been aware of your systematic way of living. Would that all could develop this one trait - how much better the world would be.

I have always considered you a successful person financially. Realizing that from your boyhood you have struggled on your own to get your education and make your own way in life. These experiences have made you aware of the value of being practical. Your wisdom has taught me much as I walk my way in life!

To you Mother - if I should just reach out and grasp a few words which best describes you, I must first of all take unselfish. For always your concern has been for others. Along with this I must think of sweetness and warmth. Just to step inside your door and one can feel the smile of welcome. No one ever could compare to your warm hospitality.

So noticeable is your quick energy and great enthusiasm. This enthusiasm has kept your life so meaningful.

And so expressive of you is your sense of humor. It has always kept laughter ringing in our hearts! I shall always remember that Irish twinkle in your blue eyes.

How very proud I have been of your creativeness of thought and philosophies. You have given me a realization of something greater - beyond my earthly habitat. Through your eyes I have seen the beautiful!

There seems to be no way to end this for as my pen flows so does my heart.

So to you both my thanks for the heritage that is mine! May I so live to be worthy of it!

Your Daughter,
Orvetta

December 21, 1965
Delta, Utah

Response Letter:

Dearest Orvetta,

I can't think of beautiful words to express appreciation like you did to us, but I must say you are a gifted writer and it is wonderful to have a daughter who has inspiration flow through the channel of Holiness which I new came to you. It is a great blessing unto me to know our other daughters write poetry and can be close in communion with the Divine who stands ready to give assistance like you received. I was going to ask you to send a copy of each of your poems and writings you have been asked to give on different occasions, and now I have this other writing of your sentiments to us most beautifully expressed. You have other qualities, such as good business abilities and we enjoy and appreciate such a daughter. So I will treasure this Christmas message and hope to receive your other poems to add along with this, and thanks more than words can express.


Love always, From Mother and Dad


Geneva's thoughts: I have a copy of a little letter I wrote to Orvetta when she sent us the Christmas message in 1965 when we were living in Salt Lake at the Wilson Hotel. But I feel I shouldn't even keep a copy of what I wrote when it isn't anything beautiful at all but it does acknowledge her lovely appreciative statements.


No comments: