ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Friday, April 9, 2010

Dear Julie

Dear Julie,

I've searched and searched for a birthday card as this ONE'S come around,
But a happy FORTIETH birthday card, simply can't be found.

Now I remember when mine came, what a dismal day.
I looked in the mirror a dozen times -- tried to smile the blues away.

But the bare truth rudely showed me, as I'd sincerely stare
Little crow's feet 'round my eyes, a wrinkly neck and more gray hair.

I grabbed for brighter lipstick and pushed away my frown
John said, "Don't be so upset, Mom. At least you're still around!"

I took your little jumping rope to see what I could do
I tried to set my goal for ten and hardly made it through.

They've said that when you're forty, life has just begun.
I think they had it backwards - that it's over and all done.

But there's good news I must tell you
The world's full of saddened faces
Eighty percent of the women today
Would love to trade you places!!!

Including your 68 year old mom!

Love,
Mom

May 27, 1990

No comments: