ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Friday, April 9, 2010

To Sam

I know it's not Thanksgiving yet
But it is drawing near
When we give thanks abundantly
This season of the year.

But my heart's so full of gratitude
It's going to overflow
Unless I let these thoughts release
That I want you to know.

I'm counting all the blessings
That came into my life
When we clasped hands together
And I became your wife.

Thanks for all those little things
You do for me each day
For making beds and orange juice
And putting clothes away.

For turning keys and locking doors
You manage all the switches
You cool the house and warm the house
And wash my pots and dishes.

For slipping me those twenties
Never caring how they're spent
Never asking what I did
Or where the money went.

You joined me at the kitchen bar
When canning season came
I said I didn't need your help
You insisted just the same.

The apples pears and peaches
You peeled so very thin
We got it done in half the time
I'm glad I let you win!

I love the way you cuddle me
Within your sheltered arms
When nights are cool and chilly
And when they're hot and warm!

And I've learned to keep the sabbath
In a more perfected way
You've taught me that I should not cook
Upon this holy day.

You've led me to the temple
More often than I'd plan
How good it feels to walk inside
With such a worthy man.

No matter what each new day holds
No matter what the weather
We place our scriptures in our hands
And sit and read together.

So let me say because of you
I feel so good within
And now I have to ask myself
What have I taught him?

You've learned to play triominoes
Another game or two
You always wait and wait on me
You've gained more patience too!

You're learning too, to memorize
Almost to twenty-four
But since the new one has arrived
You've got to add one more!

The car is filled and ready
For all those miles we ride
My job is just to play the tapes
And sit there by your side.

I've taught you how to swallow pride
Your temperature got hot!
When the awful truth was learned --
Your best suit -- I forgot!

You traveled on and looked ahead
I tried to clear the air
I gleaned the back seat once again
It simply wasn't there.

We drove across the highway
In silence -- no one spoke
Finally after forty miles
'Twas I, the silence broke.

But you can wear the older suit
To church and you'll look nice
For two whole weeks we'll be away
I'll not wear the same suit twice.

You're learning to eat vegetables
With every single dinner
I've helped you cut down on your pop
You should be getting thinner.

So now this story tells it all
It's very plain to see
That I am very good for you
You're very good for me!!

October 31, 1988
The man I met one year ago tonight!

No comments: