ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Thursday, April 8, 2010

Parenthood

I waltzed into the school of parenting in sweet oblivion. To date I have not yet graduated, although I have hard my share of ringing bells in my head. Experience has been my greatest teacher. And time has opened my eyes a little wider and shut my mouth a little tighter.

This came about because seven were born into our home, each so uniquely different. And so they say, all perfectly normal. Some look a little like me, nice teeth. Some look a little like their dad, flat feet. Some have my good habits and some have their dad's bad ones. There are times in our darkest moments where we cannot see they resemble either of us in any way whatsoever.

But I must say they have improved on my life greatly. I would never have learned tolerance, sacrifice, humility to such a degree. Who can bring down your ego faster than your kid when he says, "I guess you know mother, you were the fattest one at our meeting today." Take sacrifice -- what great unforgettable moments we experience. Sheer joy was mine at the Junior Prom watching my daughter gliding in yards and yards of billowy, heavenly blue while I was peering from the darkest corner in my seven year old formal.

It is because of them that I have been spared that awful sin of keeping up with the Jones'. What with braces for teeth, broken bones, gasoline, phone bills, automobile repairs, skis, skates, christmas, traffic tickets, fines, etc., etc., and etc., there is NO WAY.

It is because of them I have learned to pray so fervently, so pleadingly, so often. But it is because of them I reach that time in life when I can at last get a good night's sleep -- when they are finally married and until they return from their honeymoon.

Yes, I must give them credit for the many character building traits they have unknowingly instilled within me. And so from the bottom of my heart I must say, "Thank you children." If it hadn't been for you I would have turned out to be a selfish, wealthy, rich old woman.

No comments: