ALL IMAGES AND TEXT COPYRIGHT 2010


Saturday, April 10, 2010

Something I Really Treasure

I'm remembering a young little mother - three little children. She wasn't LDS. Her husband was Mormon but not active at all. The mother-in-law wanted so much for her to get into the church.

I was the visiting teacher. With my companion, we spent a lot more time there than a monthly visit because she was sick a lot - confined to her bed because of a pregnancy.

Now I must confess there were times I had some misgivings and I didn't go willingly - with purity of heart.

But visiting teaching has a way of testing our tolerance, of pulling us along and molding us into a more compassionate, caring person. And we discover we love where we serve.

As time went on, we got the missionaries going there, and this developed into inviting her to come to church on Sundays. Her husband worked - took the car. She had no way, so I picked she and the little children up each Sunday morning. This was a thrill to see pretty little petite shoes, soft curls, and a little mother looking happier and happier each Sunday that arrived.

She was baptized, and not long after this her husband's work took him away from Delta. So she was packing to leave and join him - a knock came at my door - I opened it and met her standing there with this little picture in her hand:

"I want you to know that just being friends with you is something I really treasure."

Yes, sisters of the spirit too, are sent from up above. There is a destiny that makes us sisters. None goes her way alone. All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own.

It is important to teach by the Spirit, to always have a prayer before we go. To know if this day the best way is a short, understated visit or a time to linger and listen.

No comments: